Behind the Author

Friday, August 12, 2011

Won't Be this Way Forever

Tonight, I was so busy getting things organized for our yard sale tomorrow, that I totally rushed our bed time routine with Giovanni.  I placed him in he swing, and went about organizing our piles of junk. A few minutes later, I heard him start to cry. I admittedly ignored it, so I could continue working. He started crying louder and for fear that he may wake up Dominic, I went to go check.  There he was, wide awake with his big beautiful blue eyes starring up at me, with tears streaming down his face.

It was one of those moments I stood there frozen,  felling like a horrible mom. I could have taken the time to read and cuddle with him before bed, but instead I chose my selfishness.  I picked him up and dried his tears. He didn't understand why the routine had changed. He looked up at me and just sighed with relief, I held him tight in my arms and kissed him goodnight, listening to his little coos as he drifted off to sleep.

It reminded me of this song, "It won't be like this long." So often I rush around doing my own thing that I neglect the important things in life that truly matter.  My babies are growing and getting bigger everyday. Giovanni won't fit in my arms forever. These are the moments I want to remember. I don't want to waste them on mindless things.

I want to savory each second. Like how Dominic right now calls all utensils spoons, or how he sings Twinkle twinkle, and especially how each morning he wakes up and runs to our bed and calls out, "da-da." Because for some reason right now he calls me da-da or Rachel and not mommy. I want to remember how Giovanni rolls onto his side and just kinda of chills there for a little while grabbing at anything he can reach, listening to him squeal with excitement when he's standing up, and how he smiles as wide as his mouth can go.

Life is about those moments. So tonight, with time only moving forward, I am vowing to my family, that I am going to turn off the distractions more often and not rush through life, making each moment with them count, the way God intended life to be.






4 comments:

  1. First...thanks for stopping by my blog! Second, I just found out this song existed last week, and I dedicated a whole blog post to it!!

    Amy
    http://lifewithaubrey.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute, so sweet. I love when moms embrace these days and realize they won't last forever...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww! I'm not a mom yet, but I'm sure I'll be exactly the same way! Great blog, am a new follower :).

    http://marleeindebt.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment. I love and appreciate comments and read them all. Have a blessed day!