Behind the Author

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Looking Back, Moving Forward A Year Later

A year ago today, we came home with the boys to find our house had been broken into and we were robbed. It was such a horrible feeling. A ton of bricks hit us and we felt violated and stripped of our safety and sanctuary. I'd like to say that a year later, we are normal again, but I just can't. I'm not saying we still feel what we felt on that afternoon, but we're not the same as we were. I don't know if it's because we are in the same house, or city, but I just don't feel 100% safe in our home anymore, even with our new top of the line security system. I'm on guard. 

I grew up in super safe neighborhood. The front door was always open and a worry never crossed our minds. Now, every time we leave, we "secure" the house. Our sanctuary has melted away and a fort was put in it's place. I've become cautious of my neighbors, I lock up our valuables, and even canvas the neighborhood before we take off. It's crazy. 


But in all of this though, there is good that has prevailed. We may never be the same again, but who says that's all bad? We are stronger. We've grown closer as a family unit.  We've learned that even when you think you lost the most precious belongings, you haven't. In the end, things are just things, and they don't really matter. We now place our priorities where they matter.

"When you are in the final days of your life, what will you want? Will you hug that college degree in the walnut frame? Will you ask to be carried to the garage so you can sit in your car? Will you find comfort in rereading your financial statement? Of course not. What will matter then will be people. If relationships will matter most then, shouldn't they matter most now?" — Max Lucado


God is still good.

3 comments:

  1. We had a house fire and lost everything back in 2007, so I can empathize with what you went through. Thankfully, we were not at home when it happened, so we were all safe. And Lord knows that the only things irreplaceable in our lives are our loved ones. Priorities, indeed! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post. We live our life by our experiences. I am glad only posessions were lost and not family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is certainly scary and not something you get over easily. Hope you can feel safe again.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment. I love and appreciate comments and read them all. Have a blessed day!