Behind the Author

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Our Potty Training Journey!

At 2.5 years, Dominic is POTTY TRAINED!! 

Here's our Journey..

The beginning of June, a week after turning 2.5, I decided it was time to get serious with the potty training.


1 day + No Interruptions + Set timer to every 30-40minutes + Lots of Praise = SUCCESS!! 


I took one day, without interruptions. No outings. No play dates. No skipping the 'time'. No interruptions, period. I explained to him that he was a big boy and it was time to really use the big boy potty. I gave him some big boy underwear, and he wore that and a shirt all day. Then, I set my timer on my phone to go off every 30-40 minutes. Loaded him up on fluids (water, juice, milk) And once it dinged, I took him, sat him on the potty, and he did his business. We danced, high fives, and did many that-a-boys. By the end of the day he ran with excited to the potty! That was it. We have never had to use the timer again. One day of that, and our little guys was (95%) broke! 

Get Real!

Seriously, we haven't used a diaper (during the day time) since Day 1! I'm not going to lie, there have been a few accidents, not really at our house, but if he was at the grandparents house(too busy playing kind of deal). Then after he got sick couple of weeks ago, he threw his hands up and stomped off saying, "I don't want to go potty!!" He went, but made a big fuss about going. But a little motivation through the use of stickers, got him passed that. And let me just say, when your son uses the toilet, when he has the stomach flu, he's broke. No if's and's or butt's about it! ;) 


Welcome to the thrown, my son!

7 comments:

  1. what a wonderful potty training story... As a pre school teacher and someone who has potty trained a lot of children over the years, including my own 3, it is wonderful to hear someone who did it the sensible way, and stuck to it....I've been telling Mum's and Dad's for years that it really is this simple!

    Thank you for proving to Mum's everywhere that potty training really isn't as traumatic as they all try and make it....If you keep it simple and stick to it, it works like a dream!

    Your story has made my day!

    Lou :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And I agree 100%! My mom did day care in her home for years, and she told me to do this, and she's right, it works!!

      Delete
  2. Woohoo! That's awesome! What a cutie he is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a new follower from Crazy Mama's Monday blog hop.

    I love that picture! Such a cute story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a new follower from crazy mamas blog hop. Potty training is so exciting! What a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That is awesome! Thanks for the advice for when we start potty training over here! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment. I love and appreciate comments and read them all. Have a blessed day!